Welcome to the homework page. We all know that homework can be somewhat trying at times and wish to share this page with you in the hope that some of the information helps.
Above all remember that communication is the key to success. If homework is causing a problem then let your child’s teacher know – write a note on the homework page or send a note in to school in the morning. A teacher would rather have the homework not completed than have a child feeling under pressure.
Top Tips for a positive homework environment
1. TIME – know when it is time to do homework. It could be the same time every day i.e. after snack, before swimming or whatever as long as there is an agreed expectation.
2. LOCATION – This is the best area for your child, some may wish to be alone in their bedroom others may wish to be at the bustle of the kitchen table – let your child decide and if it works for them why not listen.
3. RESOURCES – have all resources and materials in a place all together so that there is less distraction /time wasting finding a rubber, glue etc.
4. ELIMINATE TV.
5. MUSIC – there are several studies that encourage music while working as it provides a more relaxed atmosphere.
6. PRAISE EFFORT – e.g. that is the neatest word you have written
7. SCHEDULE – set up a schedule for topic work. Sit down with your child and agree times when you can fit in the work. If they are involved in the plan they are more likely to co-operate when it comes time.
8. ENCOURAGE – encourage them to check their own work.
Read, Write, Count
Read, Write, Count offers parents tips, ideas and activities that will help get children off to a great start in life.